By: Laura Sellers, Content Coordinator
Hello! My name is Laura Sellers and I am the new Content Coordinator at Light Alive Marketing. This team has welcomed me with open arms and I cannot wait to see what my future holds. Whether it is writing social media posts or blogs, I work with my team to make sure your needs are met! I am a military spouse who just recently arrived at Fort Sill. I am so excited to get to know and work closely with the members of my community and play a part in helping businesses grow.
I graduated from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in hospitality management. While in school, I learned the ins and outs of the hospitality industry including customer service, building client relationships, and how to uphold a company’s mission. I went on to work in special events at a hotel in downtown Nashville, TN.
After starting my family, I changed gears in my career and focused on a talent of mine that I am very passionate about. I became an English teacher. As an English teacher, I was able to teach reading and writing to students while also advocating for their rights and equality in the classroom. I loved contributing to my students’ academic successes, especially when it came to writing. It taught me that no matter where a student is academically, they each have a story to tell and it was my job to get that story out!
Fast forward to today. My husband told me that we would be leaving our home and community at Fort Campbell, KY, and be relocated to Fort Sill, OK. My first thought was, “OKLAHOMA!? What is in Oklahoma!?” Turns out, there is a lot in Oklahoma, including a new career. So again, I changed gears in my career and took a chance by applying to Light Alive. As a content coordinator, I am able to put my talent and passion to work and create content that helps the businesses in my community grow. I am so excited about this chapter and I am eager to grow my knowledge in skills in order to contribute to my team.
Laura’s Favorite Things
- Being an adventurous mom – This is new to me as I tend to stay in a comfort zone… but every time I take on a new adventure with my little ones, I think to myself “WOW! I wish we would have done this sooner!” My latest adventure was taking on a hiking trail at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.
- Musical Theatre – Belting out my favorite show tunes can brighten up any day! With me working from home, the only one that has to listen to my broadway jam sessions is my dog Minnie (you’re welcome, LA team)
- Good Food – Growing up in Western Pennsylvania, we had a mix of the greatest foods around the world! Some of my favorite dishes have Italian and Polish roots and every time I enjoy some good pierogies, I am instantly reminded of home!
- Candles – Who doesn’t love a good candle! I love the coziness and comfort they give off. Bonus if they have a smell that sparks a memory!
- Cleaning – A lot of people think of cleaning as a chore, I like to think of it as an activity! It instantly calms my mood to be able to tidy up my environment
Interesting Facts about Laura
- I met my husband in 6th grade! We grew up minutes away from each other. As friends, we got to experience each other’s awkward teenage years. We finally reconnected after college and he is now an active duty soldier in the Army.
- I have 3 brothers
- My youngest daughter has a rare genetic condition that makes her literally “one in a million”
- I spent my “honeymoon” driving across the country from Tacoma, WA to Pittsburgh, PA.
Words to live by:
“Don’t aim for success if you want it, just do what you love and believe in and it will come naturally.” —David Frost