Many of us on our team LOVE writing. It’s ok, we know you think we are nerds. We agree, and we don’t mind! However, we have found that the majority of our clients don’t like to write. This isn’t a problem for us at all except for one thing: We HAVE to have client input to design a wonderful website with well-written content!
Design, photography, and all the other elements are important, but a website without good content can fall flat on its face. Why, you ask?
Here’s 3 reasons why your website content is so important:
- Websites with little content may not show up in search engines. Did you know pages with at least 300 words are more likely to index in Google searches? Without good content, your customers may not even see your website in a Google search.
- Websites with little content may leave potential customers with many unanswered questions driving them to competitors.
- Websites with little content may produce a “red flag” for your customers. If a company has not taken the time to explain what they do and why they are a good choice for your business, wouldn’t you be cautious to work with them or make purchases through their site?
What information does my website need?
No matter what type of business you have, your website should clearly explain who you are, what you do, why you love your business, and why customers should want your products or services over your competitors.
Here is a list of questions that your website content should answer and questions you should keep in mind to best reach your audience:
- How would you like to greet customers as they land on your site?
- Is there a story or meaning behind your business name you would like to share?
- Name of Owner/s?
- History of how/ why the business started?
- What problem do you solve for customers?
- What is your level of experience in your industry?
- Mission statement and goals?
- Motto or tagline?
- Key call to action? (What do you want clients to do after visiting each page? )
- Keywords customers might use to find you on search engines?
- What products and services do you provide?
- What is important to mention about each product or service?
- Selling points: why are your products or services superior?
- Who is your ideal customer?
- Who would you like to reach that you don’t feel you are successfully reaching now?
- Service area?
- Locations (home office, branches)?
- Directions to home office/branches?
- How should customers reach out for questions: Call? Email? Visit you in person? Something else?
- Number of staff members?
- Selling point of staff members: What makes the staff stand out?
- Bios: Titles, Education/ Experience, What they do for your team, any personal information such as family information/hobbies
- What’s your price point?
- How does your price compare to the competition?
- Hours or by appointment only?
- Awards and recognition?
- What is the process of working with you?
- What quotes or testimonials can you share from happy customers?
As you are working through this process, don’t hesitate to reach out for advice or encouragement. You hired us because hopefully you noticed we really do care and want to see your business be successful! No matter which step of the process you get stuck in, even if it is the very beginning, let us know so we can help you out!